Following the passage of a $183.4 million referendum on November 8, 2016, Champaign Unit 4 School District is currently in the planning phase of six capital projects that will have a broad, positive impact on student learning. The District is currently developing a project timeline and that information will be made available on this site once available.
Central High School - $87.1 Million
- Maintain current school site in core of community.
- Construct three-story classroom addition following selective demolition of Northwest wing of the building to accommodate growing enrollment and eliminate portable classrooms.
- Renovate and repair existing infrastructure, including building-wide air conditioning, new windows, and updated security systems.
- Modernize classrooms, auditorium, cafeteria, music, arts, and renovate existing Career & Technical Education spaces.
- Purchase properties to double site size.
- Expand gym space and construct on-site fields for student participation in PE, athletics, and band.
Centennial High School - $63.3 Million
- Renovate and repair existing infrastructure, including HVAC, windows, and security systems.
- Modernize all classrooms, music, arts, as well as common spaces such as the auditorium and cafeteria.
- Construct Career & Technical Education spaces.
- Expand gym space to accommodate larger student enrollment.
- Expand school to accommodate growing enrollment and eliminate portable classrooms.
- Renovate and refurbish on-site fields for physical education, athletics, and band.
- Continued use of Tommy Stewart field for Friday night football games by both high schools.
Edison Middle School - $15 Million
- Exterior Upgrades
- Accessibility enclosures and upgrades
- HLS upgrades
- Classroom renovations
- Cafeteria and gymnasium replacement
- HVAC system upgrades
- Higher efficiency systems
International Prep Academy - $6 Million
- Build an addition, modernize classrooms and common spaces, update infrastructure, and address safety issues.
Dr. Howard Elementary School - $16.1 Million
- Demolish the existing structure and construct a new school on the current school site.
South Side Elementary School - $11.1 Million
- Build an addition, modernize classrooms and common spaces, update infrastructure, address accessibility and safety issues.
Central High School Fields at South Side - $6.2 Million
- Competition track & field/JV football (turf)
- Practice football (sod)
- Support building (restrooms, lockers, concessions, and storage)
- Additional parking
Central High School Fields at Franklin/Spalding - $3.6 Million
- Competition baseball (sod)
- Practice baseball (sod)
- Additional tennis courts
- Dugouts, concessions, restrooms, bleacher